Friday, December 13, 2013

Raonjaena (라온제나), and 쿼트로코드 Quattro Code

Two for one today, darlings!  I have many reasons, but I think the most pertinent one is that the song I settled on by Raonjaena doesn't really have any singing...  So I felt I had to throw in another song, and I really liked Quattro Code for it.

Raonjaena (라온제나) first, shall we?

Their song is "New Begin, of the Day," and it is absolutely lovely.  I don't remember if I've told you all about this, but I am quickly becoming a guitar fanatic.  I love everything that has to do with the guitar, especially music that highlights its beautiful possibilities.  And boy, does this song ever do that!

New Begin, of the Day starts with a man, I suppose we can call him the star of the music video, telling someone (possibly us, his viewers) that it has been a long time since he's seen us.  In Korean, of course.  As I was watching, I thought to myself, "I would be okay if that were the only vocal part in this song, the instrumentals are so amazing!" And then it was the only spoken part, and I loved the song!

The keyboard work is also phenomenal.  I love everything about the pacing and the beautiful way the instruments compliment each other--I even love the 80's parts of the songs, where they dive into that wicked synth.  It fits.

The video could have used something different, I think.  If you're going to do a music video to accompany an instrumental song, I think you should show a story--perhaps the story of what the song is trying to depict?  I feel like we got a bit of it at the beginning and at the end with the main actor guy, but all of the in-between bits were shots of him lounging around with his self-constructed molecule trying to make it look interesting for the camera.  And then shots of the musicians.  That stuff is great, and I do appreciate it, but I also think that a story would have served this song better.

Shout out to the molecule guy!  The guy that opens and closes the song, and then during the in between parts looks like he's trying really, REALLY hard to make that molecule interesting.  I can just hear the cameraman telling him, "Okay, now spread your arms like you're flying!  Good!  Now you're playing with the molecule!  Great, that's great.  Now a thoughtful pose!"  Tee hee!

Even though I thought the video could have been different, I think they did an amazing job of filming it and staging and editing--the transitions were smooth, it was an interesting video to watch, and seemed very professionally done.  It just makes me wonder who gets to decide, in the end, what the video to the music is actually going to be about...



Quattro Code (쿼트로코드), and their song "붙어있을래요" is next!

I fell in love with this song, as well.  It's a little bit poppy, but I am not going to hold that against the song or the band :)  The song is just so smooth and cute and... I think hip and a bit jazzy.

I love so many things about this song.  I love the instrumentals, I enjoy the swinging rhythm of the drums and the bass, I love what they do with the guitar to give it a little spice (sometimes swinging high for a descant, sometimes just emphasizing the guitar's notes), and I adore their voices harmonizing.  The vocals are such a perfect fit for each other and the song, it's just so much fun to listen to.

This video is different and yet very similar to the one from Raonjaena that I just talked about.  Weird that I just realized it.

Yes, somehow I managed to pick two videos with the group being filmed in the "setting" of a story... but not really.  Come on!  Be a little creative, people.  I mean, yes, it used to be creative and fun to have videos of just your group singing and playing for the camera, especially in the studio.  If I wanted to come and see you perform, however, I would come and see you perform.  With your music video, I'd much rather you show me a story, or something actually creative, instead of you and your group performing for the camera and being cute.  Sorry.

After that rant (which I was hoping to aim at ALL of the groups just doing glamour shots for their videos, not only Quattro Code, I promise), I would like to say that I did enjoy the video.  It was really cute, and I thought it fit the sound of the song quite well.  Although, the shots of the musicians made them look like they were either concentrating intensely on their music, or trying not to be bored.

Here's Quattro Code:


All in all, not bad songs for the Chill Music Stash.  I'm going to chalk up the videos that I've seen in the past (like these) to both vanity and laziness.  Take the time to develop something interesting and unique to the group.  I don't know whose fault it is, it could be vanity on the group's part (or their entertainment company trying to get them face-time), it could be laziness on the entertainment company's part.  I just know that I would like to see more original videos out there.  

Wow, didn't realize this post would turn into a music video rant.  On that note, come again and keep listening to your chill music! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment