Friday, December 20, 2013

Zion.T(자이언티), Miss Kim(미스 김)

Am I being a total sheep if I write about Zion.T's "Miss Kim?"

On the one hand, yes, allkpop has already reported about Zion.T, as has Soompi.  They had very nice things to say, and after I read their articles, I almost felt lacking.  As if, once I posted, I would be judged on what I said, compared to what Zion.T's agency said about the song--how it's a trot/dub fusion, and it is hearkening back to Korea's roots.  Let's face it, I don't necessarily say awesome things like that.  I mostly just talk about how much I loved the video ;)

On the other hand (not to pat myself on the back TOO much), I am not a new fan of Zion.T.  I feel like I'm not such a sheep if I've been listening to his music, wishing for more, even if I post about the music video after others.

So, I'm gonna post about "Miss Kim," because (and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this), after I watched it, Zion.T shot up on my list of favorite artists.  I'm talking top 5.

Yeah, that good.

Alrighty.  A few first impressions:

My dancer friend (Christina, that's you!) loved that they were tapping in the streets.  She said something about soft-shoe and how she wished we could hear the sounds of them dancing.

Another friend (Mindy), loved the Korean typewriter.  My own thoughts were that it was such a fun touch that he was typing out what he was singing.  And when he lays his head on the keys, the spokes (or whatever those are called) move up in a creepy, claw-like manner.  Loved that.  One possible discrepancy:  Is that an actual Korean typewriter?  Because in one shot, they keys have Roman (English) characters, but when he's typing, the characters are definitely Korean (한글).  Is that how they work?  Anyway...

The song is really catchy.  I showed the music video to my brother who is NOT into all things Korean, and who had never heard of Zion.T before, and two minutes after he watched the video, he walked by humming it.  I laughed at him, of course.

The music video.

I want to say it's a video of the past, but not in it.  Maybe I don't even know what I mean by that, but the car looks like it's from the 40's, their fashion looks like it's from the 20's, ish, and the music?  It's a classy, solid, smooth fusion of the older Korean trot style and Zion.T's own Jazzy hip-hop style.

Love the black and white.  Black and white--especially with this video--adds to the overall ambiance of the video.  I want to say, however, when I see a black and white video, I'm always curious about what the colors are that the black and white is hiding.

The rain, the car, the flowers being dropped, the blurry figure--even the dancers, I feel--add to the sorrow and longing, the overall wistfulness of the song and music video.  Love it.

The music.

I just... I love it.

Catchy and classy and entirely different than the other pieces I've heard by Zion.T.  I wish it were longer, rather than just 2:34; but I also admire that he kept it short and sweet.  Some things are just complete, you know?

I love the sounds that he used.  I am bad with the whole instrument naming thing, but I think I hear an upright bass (sick!!!), and maybe an accordion?  I am so not sure about that one, maybe it's a woodwind that is making the actual notes... Or even a organ/keyboard?  Argh, watch me fumble.  I think what I really want to say is that the music also adds to the trot/dubstep feel of the whole thing.  

But.  What makes this song entirely his own is Zion.T's voice.  That man has the most amazing set of pipes.  Such a unique voice, such control and not breathy at all, unless he wants it that way.  I've heard him "live" on Youtube, and he is the real deal.  Maybe not spot on the entire time (no one ever is, and he's not perfect either), but his voice is so true.  My fangirl is showing...

Enough!  Go watch this amazing music video.  I do hope it speaks for itself and that you all love it as much as I do.  I listen to it over and over (probably 20 times since yesterday), and I love it.  Every time.


Enjoy!  I'll see you back here next week. Keep listening to your Chill Music, and have a wonderful holiday too :D

No comments:

Post a Comment