Thursday, October 23, 2014

조형우 Cho Hyung Woo - 아는 남자 Someone I Know (feat. 김예림 Lim Kim)

Well.

Ummm... I'm sorry? Very very sorry about leaving you out in the cold for so long! My life got a little crazy there for a while. Many things happened, and all I can even say is that I am sorry.

But, I'm back now, so that's a positive, right?! I wouldn't be surprised if all of you wonderful people have moved on to something more amazing like... I dunno, ramen with eggs and cheese.

Which would be a real shame, because I've got a FANTASTIC music video for you! (You could probably eat said ramen while reading my blog post and listening to this amazing song. Just sayin'. I'd even let you keep the eggs and cheese!)

Preface: Along with not posting to Chill Music Stash, I have been very much out of the K-Indie scene, so I am woefully out-of-touch.

Which is probably why I've never heard of Cho Hyung Woo (조횽우). His music video/song, "Someone I know" (아는 남자) feat. Lim Kim (김예림), blew me out of the water. (Apparently it's got Ga In--가인-- in it as well (as the actress), but... Well, I'm not a huge fan of Ga In and that wasn't a huge draw for me... please don't hate me for that). I clicked on this music video because it featured Lim Kim, and now I have a new artist to follow, because I loved this song. So much.

Where to begin?? Oh, right ;)

The CELLO! 

Um, yes please? Excuse my fangirl language right there, but the Jazziness of this beautiful song is breathtaking, and then the cello just SWEEPS you away. It has such amazing moments of beauty, overcoming the piano and everything else that I just fell in love.

And then Cho Hyung Woo's voice--his clarity, the purity and tone. Wow. I love how he can go from whispery and soulful to BAM! Vocals soaring above everything. Amazing.

I love the timing of everything, how jazzy and catchy to slowly, softly sad with Lim Kim's vocals... and then somehow a crazy ending with the cello again. Slightly creepy ending, but it just adds to the charm.

The music video?! 

Holy cow, umm... Anybody else think it was super creepy, but so AMAZING?! Yeah, that's where I was too: I loved it. I thought the music video weirdly suited the song--perhaps??

I loved the black and white filming style at the beginning, and how it isn't that way the whole way through, only indicating the madness parts. I loved the touches of color in the music parts--the green of the plant, the red of the rug and the sun shining in with yellow rays.

I love the setting--dilapidated apartment with the paint coming away from the walls. I loved the creepy madness of it all. I really hope that doesn't make me creepy, too. I mean, the mv's story wasn't scary so much as sad, so I wasn't completely freaked out--and the song was so upbeat and jazzy that I couldn't really be frightened, you know? Which was perfect, because the song conveyed, somehow, the sorrow and wistfulness of the madness in the music video.

Now that I'm no longer making much sense, here is the video if you haven't seen it yet. It's not as bizarre as I just made it sound. Watch it, it really is so great!



I will leave you with a plan of me coming back again in a week with another amazing video to chat about. It will show my apology better than persistent, annoying declarations of remorse in a post.

Until next time, my Chill Music-listening friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment