Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Neon Bunny, or: 야광토끼-나와둘이

Neon Bunny is really great to chill to.  Especially this song.

I guess first of all I want to say that Neon Bunny is a great singer.  I love her voice.  She almost sounds a little like the crooners that would drape themselves across pianos.  You know the ones I’m talking about?  No?  Dang.  Real old-style, slow and soft and sweet but a little sultry too.  She has this ethereal voice, breathy, very pure with none of the extras thrown in.  Not that the extras aren’t nice.  They totally are.  But sometimes you long for something simpler, you know?

Oooooh!  And fireworks?!  Nobody told me there was going to be fireworks!  Seriously, people, where were you when I was being informed about this mv?  Huh?  Just kidding.  In all reality, the fireworks are so neat, especially with the focusing the way it is, so they’re blurry and they fade out really fast behind her face.  You get the feeling like she’s being filmed outside at a party, but not actually part of the party.  It’s like a memory sequence, and with all the overlaying of the different shots, it’s really neat.

I love how you get almost-glimpses of her face, you can even tell what she’s wearing, but you are never… Quite… There…  She’s playing with our minds, that’s for sure.

I love the light play in this music video!  I really can’t get enough of it.  At first you get her silhouette with lights behind, then you get fireworks, and then you get the feeling of, almost being inside a vehicle and lights flashing past on the window.  But she’s still there outside it.  And then you get her and some guy in glasses dancing in front of the fireworks!  (Were they at a party?  Were they in love?  What?)

Definitely artsy, definitely fun to watch, goes so well with the song.  It reminds me of something I would listen to in the car on the ride home late at night from my grandmother’s house or something.

It takes real talent to convey something to people who don’t even understand your language.  This music video leaves me wondering about it, and knowing I haven’t guessed all the answers, and that is also amazing, because if your audience is left questioning, they always come back for more. 

Was she remembering when she was with this guy in the glasses?  Or is she singing now about their happy relationship?  It doesn’t really feel that way with the way the song sounds, but it is possible.  For those of us who don’t understand Korean, it’s kind of like a guessing game.  Where you sometimes don’t get the answer to the riddle!

The song is really amazing.  And it grows and grows on you.  Not like fungus.  More like a happy tree, or some kind of nice grass… Anyway *cough*.  The slow movement, the snapping at the beginning, the chimes, the very deliberate beat all make for a great song to just chill to.  Her voice mixed with the romantic/melancholic sound of the song just combine to make the perfect piece to chill to… Cry your eyes out to… You know, whichever you’re in the mood for at the time.

If you haven’t seen it yet, here it is:



If you’d like a specific song, or artist for next week, go ahead and drop me a comment.  I promise, I can’t bite through the computer screen.  Hard as I may try…  J/K, I really am nice!
 I’d love to hear what you have to say about Neon Bunny or any other “chill music” artist.

Have a great week, darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment