Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rap Corner: The Quiett

Recently, I've come to like rap a whole lot more.  And by this I mean, I never touched the stuff before I started listening to music that... wasn't exactly in my native tongue. :D

Now that I'm exploring music, or rather, trying to discover as many new things in (let's face it) Korean music as I can, I have found myself quite liking rap.  Maybe because I feel that rap in English is very harsh and confrontational, even overly so.  And I never liked that.  I felt like, if someone were to explore different emotions, maybe, rather than just rapping in a super angry loud voice... Sigh.

But that may have been my inexperience talking.  I still don't really enjoy American rap, mostly because it seems like every other word is profane, and that's not proving yourself, that's just swearing.  If you can have rhythm, variations of tone with your voice and some rhyme maybe?  Not to mention fantastic instrumentals/synth/beat that you match it to?  That, my friends, can count as music in my book.  And if not music, at least wonderful expression, maybe even poetry.  I'm a huge fan of poetry.

With, I suppose, no further ado, I'll get to the artist/song.  And, erm, this is more of a collaboration, but: just this week I discovered The Quiett, and I wanted to share something more recent.  In this song (Lookin' by BoA, feat. The Quiett), I love the interaction of the deep beat and her voice and then his rap?  The clapping to offset the heavy beat, the vocals.  Sigh.  Love it.


I definitely need to listen to more rap and hip hop.  I am just blown away by this song.  I am also discovering more by The Quiett, and loving his work!  He has gone on to become a producer in the music world and a co-founder of 1llionaire records with Dok2.  The Quiett has just this month released a whole album, I believe.  Check out AMBITIQN (beware, it has language):


And, that's it, friends!  I'll be back for Chill Music Stash later this week :D

No comments:

Post a Comment