Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Freestyle(프리스타일) _ Winter Song(윈터 송) (Feat. Navi(나비)) Drop a Beat

Yes, this video was released in December of last year.  That's okay, I didn't get to talk about it, and I really like it.

Another thing:  I just copied and pasted the title into the little title section for this post.  There really are that many parentheses.  Not joking.

Okey Dokey.

Freestyle (프리스타일) feat. Navi (나비) with "Winter Song (윈터송)."

This song is so chill, and I love the Spanish influence they decided to run with throughout the song, even so far as to add Spanish phrases here and there.  I especially liked how the tone of those phrases were different than the ones that were part of the rap and the song, softer, almost like they were said at a point when the couple was still together.

I am in love with the guitar they've got in this.  Yep, guitar geek here, letting her freak-flag fly.  Of course... I don't know enough about guitars, but this sounds like classical guitar (I mean in the classical romantic way they're playing it--because the guitar did originate in Spain, and that's the sound they've got), and I absolutely love it.  My sister would freak out about the flute in there, too.  It's gorgeous.  Also--is that a harpsichord I hear?  Probably synthetic on a keyboard, but still!

The music video kind of gives me this lingering feeling of sadness, like it is something that happened--and while it is sad, it's no longer as devastating as it was when it first happened, and she is now able to let go.  At the very end of the video, she drops the locket which he (probably) gave her, showing us that she's finally over it (the break up, I guess). 

 I don't understand what she was walking through--it looked like a furniture store.  Maybe (from what I understand of the lyrics), she was ready to move on with their life, but he was not?  I mean, when they began the relationship, maybe she assured him it was enough, but then started wanting more, and he either wasn't ready, or just couldn't?  Total guesses there.

I did like how the viewer got shots of their relationship (or maybe it was her imagining how it could have been, as she IS walking through a furniture store).

I think my favorite thing about this song and music video is how chill it is, and how perfectly everything works together for a harmonic whole.  Their voices and her voice, the beautiful and smooth instrumentals... Amazing.


Thanks for stopping by for Drop a Beat :)  Keep reading if you want to hear my thoughts on profanity in music (and in anything, really), or just come back for Chill Music Stash later this week.

Profanity Rant Here:

I had some other songs I wanted to comment on as well (more recent, too), but they were all rife with profanity!  I have been known to put up with an f-word here and there (go ahead, scoff at me for not typing it out--I forgive you), but when it's once in every single chorus and verse, that's a no for me.  Don't worry, I'm even more frustrated than you are that hip hop artists are under the misconception that "forceful" means "profanity."  Not true.

I know I've talked about that before, but I don't know that I explained very well or thoroughly.  Profanity isn't a substitute for intelligence, it's not a way to express yourself.  When you use foul language, you sound like an uneducated thug.  Of course, I am listening to music from hip hop artists, who are kind of marketing toward the streets and whatnot.  I get that.  

At the same time, do you know how refreshing it is to not have to dodge foul language in a song?  Profanity is not only awful to me as a human being, but also as a person who loves language and embraces expression.  It is so much more creative and impressive when an artist chooses to go with language that actually expresses their thoughts and ideas.  Complexity is amazing.  Choose the RIGHT words and you not only impress those worth impressing, you confuse those not worth impressing.

A big vocabulary is, frankly, one of the most attractive traits a person can display.  Not only are you showcasing your intelligence, you are also honoring the people around you with the thought that you think they are intelligent and well-read enough to understand all of your big words.

Stay classy, peeps.  If I haven't frightened you off with my rant on profanity, I'll see you back here for Chill Music Stash on Thursday.  Keep up the chill listening! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment