Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Nuts 더 넛츠, and Brand Newjiq 브랜뉴직

I have two new-to-me artists (one's a band and the other is a duo, from what I can see) that I ABSOLUTELY ADORE, and I almost didn't give either of them a chance!

Have you ever done that before?  You are looking at new music on your subscriptions on Youtube, or WHEREVER, and you almost don't listen to something, but then you DO, and you wonder where it has been all your life?  And then, you have to wonder, "What about that song I didn't bother to listen to last week, what if it was supposed to become my favorite song, but I altered my destiny because I just didn't listen to it?!"

Fine.  I'm being dramatic.  But, in all seriousness, I do wonder sometimes, what songs I should have listened to.

These two are just such songs.

The Nuts (더 넛츠) with "또르르" will go first.  I was being judgmental when I first started it, because I was just not in the mood to listen to anything except more rock-y music.  Also, sometimes I never know what kind of music it would be on that channel (it could very well have been more pop-esque).  The fact that the music video started out with talking didn't help me at the time, either.  Because I didn't get that instant like/dislike feel for the song.

BUT.

This song is pure gold.  It's beautiful without being too much of a ballad (not my favorite), the pacing is perfect, and the vocals?  Heaven.  The vocals are really what sold me on this song.  The instrumentals are great and everything (and really tie the song together in my opinion), but their voices are like a little slice of what I imagine a heavenly choir would sound like.  They are tidy and just powerful enough on the chorus, and just quiet and breathy enough where they want it to be breathy.  I really do love this song.

The music video is okay.  It's got kind of a story, and I really do enjoy watching the band (yeah, so I think they're adorable...), but the song is what sold it for me.  Sometimes music videos distract from the sound of a song, and I think this one might be a little bit like that.  I just prefer to listen.


Next we have 브랜뉴직 (Brand Newjiq) with "Stand By Me."  With this one, it was kind of the same thing.  It came from a source that I wasn't really in the mood for, but I decided to put it on my iPod anyway.  My "Listening" playlist.

Two days later, this was my new favorite song.  I am not even joking.  I went to my roommates and had them listen to it.  They thought I was a weird-y, but that's fine.  I know quality when I hear it, and I LOVE THIS SONG.

I have to say, I do not like his facial hair.  Not so much, no.  But, again, the vocals more than make up for that.  This song... *sighs* it's such a sensual, amazing song.  One of the comments below the video on Youtube is "eargasm," and, while I find that word wildly inappropriate, I agree with the sentiment.  This song is slow and swaying side-to-side in a smoky old-time club with a live band whispering into their microphones.

I love the keyboard at the beginning, and then his voice--smooth and a bit naughty.  Then the chorus with that sexy guitar.  Oh, just soooo good!  And then, there's that rap bridge!  But not really rap at first.  A whisper that leads up to his slightly more intense rap.

I, again, didn't pay much attention to the music video (the song drew me in), but I love black and white.  I like how the music video manages to suggest things (with the tie falling to the floor, and him circling her, and you can't see any of the background because it's mostly blacked out) without being completely inappropriate.

The guitarist was wearing something really weird, like Native American thing, but I did love the shots of just the neck of the guitar and him playing it.  Wow.


Let this be a lesson to you.  Give things a chance, and try not to judge.  You never know.  They could become your new favorite song!

Have a great weekend, listen to chill music, and I'll see you in a few!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment