Friday, January 24, 2014

Somebirds (어느새) - Korean Salamander (도롱뇽) and 소란(SORAN) - Your Love

We're taking a step into the past today, kiddos.  Hope everyone's okay with that.

Not too far, of course.  Just a couple of months.

First we've got Somebirds (어느새) with "Korean Salamander (도로뇽)."

When I first saw the link, I was being judgmental again, thinking I wouldn't like the song.  But, I did listen to it, and it is rocking and chill, and I absolutely love it.  It's a fun walking song.  You know--when you are walking somewhere and you want music that won't rush you, but you can just strut to?  This is it.

I love the vocals, but in a very, "I'm not sure they would work for me without the rock/laid back sound of the instrumentals" sort of way.  Very quirky and fun.  The band is so much fun, too!  I love the electric guitar, and everything else (the keyboard: oh yeah!!).

The video is weird but fun as well.  I don't like his facial hair, but it definitely fits with what he is trying to portray.  At the beginning he climbs out of a box, and encounters varying human interactions (mostly fights that he accidentally gets in the middle of) as he walks along.  The description says the song is about Korean youth whingeing (yes, they used that word, and I adore it!) about their "severe realities."  That was almost a direct quote.  It makes sense, because he goes through a lot of weird and tough things, randomly meeting up with his band every so often and singing and playing with them.

Also: cigarettes are GROSS!  I am glad he didn't light up, and I hope he kicks the habit.  Because, those things will kill you.

I love his round glasses.  I love how the video transitions from sepia tone to color every now and then, and at the end, I not only like the old guy standing in front of his box, but I also enjoyed that the main guy turned into a salamander after he climbed into the box.  Very different and awesome.


I also want to talk about 소란 (Soran) and their song "Your Love."

This video is live, so we don't really need to discuss it.  I mean, except for the fact that they TOTALLY have an UPRIGHT BASS!!  Bah.  I think the last time I wrote about Soran, I was geeking over that fact, too.  Ah well.  Gets me every time.

I absolutely love this song.  It's definitely been a while since it was released, but it is so pretty, and subtle.  So very chill.

His vocals are very prominent in the chorus, but I love the feel of the actual instruments behind him, especially during the verses.  The vocalist falls quieter there, almost making his voice a part of the background, blending so beautifully and seamlessly with the music.  So lovely.

The thing about Soran is, I love that they are an actual band.  And not a rock band.  I do love me a good rock band, but it is so nice to have that chill, relaxed sound to listen to, with actual, acoustic instruments.  I admire musicians all across the board (DJ's, vocalists, instrumentalists, etc), but something about this combination... This song just feels like a conversation, or a poem.  It's so personal and feels so well-thought out, but also almost impulsive.

Okay, now that I have made myself sound ridiculous, I'm going to stop.


I hope you liked both of these.  Maybe not as ridiculously as I did, but that's okay.  It'll get you one day.

Have a great weekend listening, and I'll see you soon!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment