Thursday, June 13, 2013

NELL 'OCEAN OF LIGHT'

This week there didn't seem to be anything... at all to post about.  Even songs or music videos not entirely noteworthy didn't come up on my chill music radar.

Or maybe I was being reeeeeaaaaallly lazy and not looking hard enough for them, because Nell came out with their "Ocean of Light" music video, and I was so excited to share it with you guys that I...  Didn't want to do another song?  Yes, it's all well and good to have new artists and new songs, but... It's Nell!  There are few artists/groups that I will drop everything for, and I have to say that Nell is definitely in that category.

So sit back, relax, pop some popcorn, and read my endless enthusiasm over this music video and Nell.  And, hopefully, fall in love with Nell as much as I am.  I hope you will, because they are fan-TASTIC!

I want to talk about the song so badly, but it can wait.  The music video--Holy awesome, Batman!  Geeking out here.  The more I watch, the more symbolism I get.

When you start out, the members are all in separate rooms, small, confining rooms--trapped, bored, but afraid to leave.  It's not like there are not doors and windows for them to use to escape.  And, honestly, the only traps any of us are in are the ones we see with our minds.  The music video shows us, in fact, that each of the members has chosen to be in the room they are in--one room has several doors in it, another has a wide open window with billowing curtains, another stairs leading down into it.  We sometimes choose the thing that is most comfortable in our life, and become afraid or unwilling to leave what is normal behind.

Shoot to the band members with their instruments--in fact, the part where they're all playing together in the rooms.  Who knew that 4 people could fit into one of those tiny rooms, with their instruments?  I didn't.  And the way they place themselves--one even playing in the bathtub in the blue room--even when you find something that you love, you can be frightened to let go of the familiar, the things by which you feel trapped.  The band doesn't leave the teeny tiny rooms to play.  They still play inside the rooms, even though they are obviously stifled in there.

Then, suddenly, there's light shining through the walls.  It startles, disturbs and frightens us when we find something that we want so much, whether it be a dream job, something we have on our "bucket list," or whatever.  Whether we stumble over something or we deliberately seek this something out, it's ultimately our choice. 

When the guys are finally taken from their confinement, they are transported to this "ocean" with their instruments, and it's raining.  At first I thought, "This isn't an ocean of light, and it's raining, and their instruments are going to be ruined!"  But!  Sometimes you have to make that leap, and just love your life.  And you have to do some crazy things, things that make the sensible side of you squirm to think of it.  Like braving the storm and dancing in the rain.  Like taking your instruments out in the rain, and letting them--quite possibly--be ruined.  They look so free, with no walls, no confinement, playing under the sky, the rain and the stars.  No one can stop them.  No one can stop you.  Find that goal and do anything in your power to get it.  

And love your life.

On to the song!!!

I have liked Nell ever since I got into Korean Indie music, and I have loved everything that I've heard.  I don't want to talk specifics for this song, other than it is amazing, and Nell has done it again.  Amazing. (that's not really a specific, but oh well!)

What I do want to say is... I have loved watching Nell and listening to their "evolution" to become who they are today.  It could be criticized by some people, but I don't think change is a bad thing.  I think they have kept their strong, core sound, and, rather, explored the possibilities of who they can become.  I love that Nell can do this--show their fans so many sides, and all of them wonderful.

Nell hasn't always sounded like this.  And, honestly, I don't expect them to always produce the same kind of song.  That would be boring.  If you're new to Nell, definitely search for some of their older music, too.  A lot of their older stuff is softer, less electric, more acoustic and definitely wistful.  


Nell has a website too!
nellhouse.com

I really hope you like them, because they are one of my absolute favorite groups.  With that, have a fantastic rest of the week and listen to awesome, chill music!  If you've got a request, or a comment, feel free to leave it below :D

No comments:

Post a Comment